Thursday, January 29, 2009

imagine; dream; believe; faith; hope; love

In translation: Words that I'd like to know what it feels like to possess.

I received a 2009 Calendar in the mail yesterday. It was from the Missionaries that I got to work with in India two summers ago. I've never been the same after having watched them do life together in a distant land from the comfy land of USA. They had two daughters. A 1 yr old and a 3 yr old and they both spoke Hindi and English. Yes it was incredible to learn from them.
I certainly miss the people in India. I miss the carefree attitudes and the scholarly thinking styles portrayed by our translators. They were only teenagers yet taught me more than a couple of my professors ever could have during my 24 day stay.

Ever since my journey overseas I've had a hard time discovering God's will. I think the reason is because I'm so caught up in myself. After spending sometime reading Jerry Sittser's book: the Will of God as a way of Life I've noticed myself eagerly wanting to spend more time with God.

Not me and the T.V. Not me and friends. BUT me and God.

Sittser's book says:

God does have one will for our lives--that we seek first his kingdom. But God allows us to follow many possible pathways to live that one will out. For example, God does not have one person selected for us to marry whom we must "find." Instead, there are many people we could marry, if we choose to mary at all. Nor does God have one career mapped out for us, which we must then figure out. Instead, there are many careers we could do and perhaps will do. The "one" will God has for us consists of a commitment to put him first in everything. Then, when we make specific decisions concerning the future, we can be confident that what we choose becomes God's will for our lives.

No comments:

Followers